Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Suitcase Security




This is a picture of my suitcase being loaded safely onto the plane. I don't know why it brings me security seeing it loaded but it does. At least half the time I am on the wrong side of the plane and cannot see the luggage being loaded and don't panic, yet seeing my baggage actually being placed on the same plane as me, is nice, ESPECIALLY when I have had a plane change or two.


Of course my security was short lived as we didn't stay on this plane 20 minutes when we were informed by the Captain that we would have to switch planes before leaving Atlanta. It seems that Delta has 5 similar plane to chose from, two of which don't have an altitude alarm bypass. The one we were sitting on was one of those that you couldn't bypass a warning alarm.

Now one has to ponder why we would want to bypass such a safety device, but that easily explained. You see we would be landing in Quito, Ecuador and it is WAY THE HECK up in the mountains. These alarms don't seem to take into account that there are cities that make our mile high city of Denver seem as it is on the flat land, but Quito is one of those places. So if we stayed on the first plane we boarded, when we went to lower our landing gear in preparation to land our plane would have sounded all sorts of alarms trying to warn the pilots of some horrible mistake as the alarm would not believe that anyone would really want to land nearly 9,200 feet in the air. It wasn't a safety issue. The plane could do it just fine. But the alarm would just make the pilots crazy, so switch planes we did.

There is no picture for the next plane or my luggage getting safely stowed as it was dark and I was a bit huffy, as it seemed like a really dumb mistake to have made on the part of Delta.
But we 'sailed' off into the dark, heading for distant shore an hour late on a non eventful flight shortly after the change was completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment